Stress Less & Enjoy More: Self-Help Facts; Problems; Solutions
Do you want to stress less and enjoy your life more fully? Consider these facts, if you’re still not sure.
- 75% of the general population experiences at least “some stress” every two weeks (National Health Interview Survey).
- Every week, 95 million Americans suffer some kind of stress related symptoms for which they take medication.
- The American Medical Association has noted that stress was the basic cause of more than 60 percent of all human illness and disease .
- The stress hormone cortisol not only causes abdominal fat to accumulate, but it also enlarges individual fat cells, leading to what researchers call “diseased” fat.
- Chronic stress floods the brain with powerful hormones that are meant for short-term emergency situations. Chronic exposure can damage, shrink, and kill brain cells.
- Researchers “Nature Neuroscience” Ferguson and Magalhaes have discovered a biological link between stress, anxiedty and depression. The linking mechanism in the study involves the interaction between corticotropin releasing factor receptor 1 (CRFR1) and specific types of serotonin receptors (5-HTRs). The chemical connections is real.
- Your body’s reaction (s) to negative stress can include but not limited to: anxiety, anger, fatiuge, dizziness, heacaches, chest pain, aches and pains, grinding of teeth, sexual difficulties, sleeping problems, cold sweaty palms, inability to concentrate, elevated blookd pressure, change in eating habits, indigestion and upset stomach.
Wow! If you’re thinking what I’m thinking, Stress is NOT something good to have in your life. But how do you get rid of stress? What can you do to remedy the disease?
Take Action Tips
- Decide to Dump -You need to want to dump the junk keeping you stressed. The first step is always deciding you don’t want the negative effects any longer, and being willing to get rid of the root cause of your pain.
- Visit your Visualization -Next step, visualize the experience of your new feeling. How do you want to feel? You have to dream it to achieve it.
- Be a 2 Minute Volunteer -Throw perfume or throw manure, whatever you throw at someone else has to stick to you first. If you want more peace, give it away first. Listen to a friend, speak an encouraging word, write a note of thanks, give away a smile.
- Step into Silence -The classroom of silence is the place to hear loudly those messages you most need to speak. Pray in humility for the courage to remove stressful people, places, and things in your life.
- Laugh out Loud -Laughter is a great medicine without any side effects! Laughter releases feel good endorphins all through your body to help the healing process. Have a sense of humor in the horror.
- Smell the Roses -Engaging your 5 senses reduces stress in a powerful way. Breath deeply, smell the soothing scent of roses, replenish your spirit with the peaceful perfume of nature.
- Write your Grateful Gifts List - Grateful keeps you focused on the positive which makes you feel hopeful good, vs the negative, which makes you feel nasty bad. Keep you list handy when you don’t feel that great, to help you shift the gears in your mind. Begin with 3 things you love about being you.
Replace those negative stress hormones which make you feel sour, with those sweet feel good endorphins right away.
“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” Lao-Tzu
Remember – you’re worth the effort!
Deb Scott, BA, CPC
Deb is Author of the 2 x National Award Winning Book The Sky is Green and The Grass is Blue – turning your upside down world right side up!, a Certified Professional Coach at Discover the Amazing YOU! Coaching, and host of the hit new Best People We Know Show! On Blog Talk Radio. Self Help Radio.
Sign up for Debs “Mind Vitamins” Newsletter today!